Monday, September 6, 2010

Life in the Slow Lane

If you have ever driven a VW Bus, you know what it is to hang out in the slow lane (that's the right hand lane for drivers under 30 years old).  Buses do not get places quickly.  They just get their in style.  Sometimes, they get their after leaving a part or two behind, which has happened to me only once.  I once lost a muffler while driving home from school on the US 101 freeway  Fortunately, I knew it would be in the right hand lane when I went back to look for it.

Today I had to drive out to the Valley (that's the San Fernando Valley - the only real "The Valley") to replace a toilet at my inlaws' house.  Being that the weather was a beautiful mid 70's and sunny, and knowing I would need a vehicle with cargo holding capacity for the new toilet, I decided to take the bus.  I generally drive 60-65 mph while traveling on the freeway in the bus.  The bus will go faster, and in fact I have had up to 80 for a short time (in the Nevada Desert where the CHP has no jurisdiction), but the bus cruises perfectly between 60-65 mph.  Today, as before, people were generally in a hurry and I got passed by scores of other drivers.  Some of them had a look of displeasure on their face as if I were holding them up from arriving yesterday at their destination.  Others look and smile that smile as if perhaps they have driven a VW bus in their past.  I enjoy both looks knowing that the world needs both.  Of course I stick to the slow lane.

Traveling in the slow lane in Southern California can be a character builder.  Traffic in many areas is a steady 70-80 mph, even though the speed limit is 65.  If you let it, the slow lane can also be a place that allows you to take in the scenery and enjoy the simple pleasures of God's creation a little easier than while traveling 70-80.  Sometimes that scenery is the back of a big-rig tractor-trailer while waiting for traffic to clear in order to pass.  Speaking of passing, a tractor-trailer rig is one of the few vehicles you can actually pass with a VW bus, although sometimes they pass us.  Timing the merger of cars entering the freeway and trying to hold a constant speed can leave you holding a death grip on the steering wheel while swearing under your breath.  A few years ago, it was not uncommon for me to think ugly thoughts about others not paying attention to traffic as they merged onto the freeway.  Today, it is all part of the total package of driving a bus.  I smile and keep on moving along with the simple thought that it does not matter when I arrive at end of a trip so much as how I arrive.

Life in the slow lane can be a wonderful place, that is unless you are driving a Honda.  Keep it slow and Enjoy the Ride :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment